The TCM-5 is a current meter that is designed to operate in the Abyssopelagic and Hadalpelagic Zones to a maximum depth of 10,000 meters. The TCM-5 is constructed from toughened syntactic foam with a titanium pressure housing and is intended to be deployed on benthic landers or by an ROV.
Similar to the other Lowell Instrument's TCMs. The core of the TCM-5 is the MAT-1 Data Logger. The MAT-1 data logger was designed for NOAA and is ideally suited as the "brains" of a tilt current meter. The built-in data logger includes a USB communication interface, a microSD flash memory card, and a long-life lithium battery.
The TCM-5 Tilt Current Meter measures current using the drag-tilt principle. The logger is buoyant and is typically attached to the bottom via a short flexible tether to an anchor. Moving water tilts the logger in the direction of flow. The TCM-5 contains a 3-axis accelerometer and 3-axis magnetometer for measuring tilt and bearing. The resulting orientation data is converted to current by applying calibration coefficients with the included software.
See "TCM-5 Product Data Sheet" for more detailed specifications.
Key Features & Benefits
- 10,000 meter depth rating
- Water velocity for a fraction of the cost of an acoustic meter
- Tilt compensated compass for bearing measurements
- Simple & rugged design is easy to deploy from a ROV
- Internal temperature sensor is accurate to +/-0.1C
- 8 GB memory card eliminates memory concerns
- Lithium battery allows continuous 4Hz sampling for more than 1 year
- USB 2.0 with standard cable and drag and drop data file offload
- Easy meter configuration and data conversion with Windows® software (free download).
Replacement Batteries and Accessories
See "Accessories" for a list of replacement batteries, tools and spare parts.